Manchester City Grind Out Victory

Manchester City’s under par performance this evening at Loftus Road saw them come away with a 3-2 win over Queens Park Rangers.

Neil Warnock’s side were the reason why Manchester City were not at their best. Queens Park Rangers took the game to the undefeated lead leaders from the get go.

Jay Bothroyd headed the home side into a deserved lead just before the half hour mark when he beat Stefan Savic in the air from a Joey Barton free kick.

Savic, in for the suspended Vincent Kompany alongside Joleon Lescott looked shaky this evening. Kompany’s aerial ability and positioning was desperately lacking from the Montenegrin.

Queens Park Rangers were on top for most of the first half but were a little fortunate to go in level at half time. Manchester City equalised two minutes before half time when Edin Dzeko lacked onto a a James Milner through ball down the left wing before cutting inside, fooling Anton Ferdinand with a dummy and then firing past Paddy Kenny, low into the corner.

Minutes later, Sergion Aguero hit the outside of the post before the the sides went in at 1-1.

Queens Park Rangers started the second half on top once again. Joey Barton testing Joe Hart with a stinging long range effort 20 seconds after the restart.

It would be the league leaders who would go in front in the 52nd minute. Edin Dzeko took the ball down the left wing on the counter attack before crossing low into the box for David Silva. The Spaniard’s first touch took out two defenders and his second touch was the smash the ball past Kenny for a 2-1 City lead.

Other than his goal, David Silva had a relatively quiet game. Hard to tell whether there was any fatigue, the small Loftus Road pitch and hostile atmosphere, or that he his eyes haven’t got use to the yellow winter ball yet…

You’d have been wrong to think Queens Park Rangers were going to bail out at this point. They kept fighting even during a spell where their home fans had gone quiet and let some chants of “Blue Moon” take over.

Jay Bothroyd connected with an Armand Traore cross and his header deflected off Heidar Helguson for Queens Park Rangers equaliser. Despite appeals for offside by a number of the City side, replays justified referee Martin Atkinson and his decision with Stefan Savic playing the Icelandic striker onside.

QPR were on level terms for 5 minutes. Luke Young gave Aleksandar Kolarov too much time and space down the left wing. The Serbian put in a great cross for which Yaya Toure beat Danny Gabbidon in the air to head City back in front.

The visitors narrowly head on to maintain their 5 point lead at the top of the Premier League. Helguson hit the bar late on but Neil Warnock’s side came away with 0 points after the final whistle.

That’s two Premier League games in a row that Manchester City have been under par and have scored 3 goals in each and taken 6 points away with them. Whether squad rotation and potential fatigue for a few players potentially causing havoc for the side with Champions League games, Roberto Mancini’s side remain favourites to win the Premier League.

Following Manchester United and Chelsea’s toughly fought 1-0 victories over Sunderland and Blackburn Rovers respectively today, Manchester City’s odds have shortened to 10/11 to win the Premier League.