Connect with us


Liverpool centre-back Virgil van Dijk reacts as he is handed ban and fined for red card against Newcastle United

Liverpool centre-back Virgil van Dijk has been banned for an additional game and fined £100,000 after refusing to leave the pitch following his red card against Newcastle United and swearing at referee John Brooks.

The Netherlands international was sent off for a foul on Magpies striker Alexander Isak in the first half of Liverpool’s comeback 2-1 victory at St James’ Park on August 27.

However, there was a lengthy delay while VAR checked replays, and Van Dijk did not react well to being shown his marching orders and the decision of the ref to stand by his call after consulting the pitch-side monitor.

The Reds star has taken to social media to react to the decision of the FA.

“Following the announcement today I’d just like to make clear I totally accept the panel’s decision,” Van Dijk posted on Instagram.

“It was the first red card of my Liverpool career and I let my frustrations get the better of me in an intense and heated moment.

“I apologised immediately after the game to the match officials and take full responsibility.

“Time to move forward now. I will continue supporting the team in every way I can.”

The 32-year-old has done well to take responsibility, and he has done the right thing by putting out a statement and accepting his punishment.

Officials would not turn a blind eye to improper behaviour from players and coaches this season and will not hesitate to punish erring parties.

Van Dijk was initially banned for the Aston Villa game on September 3 as a result of the red card, but he will be unavailable to face Wolverhampton Wanderers on September 16 when Liverpool return to action after the international break.

Reds manager Jurgen Klopp picked Joel Matip and Joe Gomez for the match against Villa in the absence of the Liverpool captain, and the duo are expected to start against Wolves too with Ibrahima Konate still battling with his fitness.

More in Football