Connect with us


Liverpool see off Luton Town at Anfield to maintain title charge

Liverpool see off Luton Town at Anfield to maintain title charge

Once again, Liverpool have lived up to their reputation as “Comeback Kings” as Jurgen Klopp’s side swatted aside Luton Town 4-1 at Anfield to maintain their Premier League title charge.

After a flat opening period, the Reds mounted a devastating second-half rout, smashing four past Luton stopper Thomas Kaminski after falling behind to a first-half header from Hatters wingback Chiedozie Ogbene.

Goals from Virgil van Dijk, Cody Gakpo, Luis Diaz, and Harvey Elliott ensured an injury-ravaged Liverpool side extended their remarkable unbeaten streak at Anfield to 13 games this season.

The games continue to come thick and fast for Liverpool, with this encounter coming during a spell of 11 games in 42 days.

Liverpool came into this clash well aware of the consequences of dropping points against a spirited Luton with title rivals Manchester City and Arsenal breathing down their necks.

However, Klopp’s troops struggled to convert their chances in the first half. They could have been two goals ahead in the opening five minutes, but Luis Diaz couldn’t sort out his feet after Caoimhin Kelleher found him in acres of space before curling another effort wide.

Without Mohamed Salah, Darwin Nunez and Diogo Jota, Liverpool lacked cutting edge in the final third. Diaz was the main culprit, rifling several efforts without really testing Kaminski in the Luton goal.

Eventually, Liverpool were made to pay for their wastefulness in front of goal as Ogbene pounced on a rebound to head the Hatters into a shocking lead.

Liverpool trailed at the interval, and it seemed like Klopp’s first-half team talk did nothing to spark his side into life as the Reds continued to struggle in the final third.

However, they soon clicked into gear, and in a couple of minutes, they turned the game on its head, with Van Dijk and Gakpo heading the Merseyside giants into the lead.

Liverpool were firmly on top after the quickfire double and extended their advantage midway through the half. Diaz finally got his goal, firing into the net with aplomb after being played in by Andrew Robertson.

Elliott rounded off the rout in the final minute of normal time, firing into the top corner, capping off a fine evening for the league leaders.

Liverpool have now opened up a four-point gap at the Premier League summit, although they’ve played one more game than their title rivals.

More in Football